Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Unrelated Thoughts

When my wife spread some bean seeds in our garden, we both expected some to take and others not to. We figured it would be hit or miss. They all took. Much like that, for the last few days I have had some seeds of ideas to write about for this week’s Ramble, but like the Runner Beans, well, they’ve all taken and are germinating. Therefore, this week’s Ramble will be a series of unrelated thoughts, once again.

On Neighbors.
It’s nice to have good neighbors. Someone you can count on in a pinch, but who also keeps to themselves as well. We have been blessed, on one side, with neighbors very much like this. They are always quick with a wave and a hello, or a quick chat. We help each other too. I recently had to climb a ladder for them, since health issues made that difficult. And they let us borrow their big tiller, for our garden. It’s nice to see them out working in their garden and yard, while we are doing the same. We are sure to bring them some fresh baked goodies at holidays, and they always have goodies for us too. I’m glad to have them there, and when the tomatoes start coming, they’ll be getting some for sure.

On Courage.
I’m not a lover of conflict. I don’t like an argument, and I don’t like to accost people who have wronged me. However, sometimes it is necessary to confront someone about an issue, and when it is, I usually try to find some way out of having to do it.
I recognize, with the help of family and friends, however, that I have a kind of gift when it comes to dealing with people. My lovely wife always reminds me that our weaknesses are just our strengths overused.
In trying to apply that to my fear of conflict, I began to realize that I actually have the tools necessary to confront most situations, and keep it from becoming a conflict, and yet saying what needs to be said. I had an opportunity to apply this gift the other day, when I had to tell our other neighbor to stop mowing our lawn. I won’t go into details, but this is an ongoing issue that I finally had the courage to face, because I realized that I was equipped to deal with it. I’m not perfect, but I’m growing.

On Writing.
I want to be a good writer. It’s one of the things that I love to do. I still recognize my need to practice. This blog, and a few others that I keep up are excellent opportunities for me to get that practice in, and hopefully bring a little joy to someone else’s life.
A good friend of mine from my youth, who is a theologian and seminary professor asked in one of his blog’s if writing as he did, was doing anything at all. There is no way to be sure, but I’m not going to give up. Regardless if it’s read or not, this blog in some ways, is helpful for me to get my ideas in order. If that is all it accomplishes, then it’s worth it.

On Parenthood.
A good friend of ours left to begin again in another part of the country, so he could be closer to his child. I admit, I will miss him, but I also commend him for his devotion to his child. We seem to see less and less of this in our society.
Working in the school system for as long as I did, I got to see a bunch of examples of ‘what not to do’ if you’re a parent. It’s refreshing to see examples of ‘what to do’ out there as well. It’s not easy, but doing the right thing for your children often requires you putting them first. I hope people will look to his trend, and try to follow his example.
In the meantime, good luck, we will miss you, but we will keep in close contact with you.

On Comedy.
I love to laugh. Who doesn’t? I am so inspired by people who have the gift of comedy. I know that I can be a ‘funny’ person now and again, but there are some people in my life whose grasp of humor is perfect.
It reminds me of a joke.
An elephant walks into a room. Everyone pretends it’s not there.
I think that funny people find solace in their humor. Life is not any easier for a comedian. In fact, I  believe that funny people are more sensitive to the hurts and tragedies of life. Their gift, however is to find the irony, or react with sarcasm or deal with it in a way that makes others laugh. I could never aspire to be an actual ‘stand-up comedian’, but I do so admire the art of the joke or the quick witted comeback. My wife, our boys, our friends and other members of our ‘group community’ all seem to be able in some way or another get people laughing. I think we gravitate to it. And we all always feel better after a good laugh. It’s nice to be in a group of funny people.

Well, the seeds are spread, and I hope that they will germinate for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment