Friday, March 16, 2012

In Defense of Music

I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me-like food or water.
Ray Charles

I have been tempted to hit someone only a very few times in my life. Last week, I nearly did. It’s painful for me to admit that, since I believe typically in non-violent solutions to conflict. But this particular situation was not conflict so much as insult.
A person was trying to get me to buy into some principles of ‘needed change’ in our world. He said he recognized me as being of the correct mindset to be a part of this change. He continued to tell me how much my contribution of thought to this change would aide our community and our society. Then he dropped the bomb. He said “ The real mind of genius abandons all luxuries, but especially  the frivolity of music.”
My fist was coming up before I knew what was happening. I turned rapidly, and walked away, before I could be charged with assault.
I know that I am not a genius. Far from it. But music is very central to who I am, and it has helped to define my family.
You see, even before I was outside of my mother’s womb, music was being piped into my brain. She would put the big bulky earphones from our Hi-fi set onto her belly and play all kinds of music for me. She sang to me constantly. As I grew, I was exposed to all sorts of music.
My brother, who is much older than I, and who, thanks to this fact, was exposed to a much earlier era of music, also shared his own favorite music with me. My dad played the trumpet for years. Every where I went, everything I did, every aspect of my life was completely and totally saturated with music.
Later, when I could wiggle my fingers independently, I started to pick out melodic tunes on my tiny little 12 key keyboard. Later, on my 32 key keyboard. When I was fifteen, my dad bought me an extremely expensive, full-size 88 key electric piano.
I taught myself to play the drums, and the guitar, and played in at least three bands throughout my late teens and early twenties. All throughout my school career, I sang in choruses, quartets, trios, and even in a few (very rare) cases, solos.
Even now, there are two pianos, at least five guitars and a plethora of other instruments in our home. When the boys were little we would sing together in the car. My wife and I sometimes sit around the piano or with my guitar and sing our favorite songs. Our boys all have very well developed senses of style and preference, and are always sharing their newest musical discovery with us. All of the family vehicles are chock full of mix CDs we’ve made for each other.
It goes on and on and on.
Music is one of the central pillars of our lives. It is such a deep and meaningful part that even one day without music seems unfulfilled.
I am not passionate about politics or current events. I am not outspoken about the beg issues of our world. I have opinions, but they are usually ill-prepared and lack logical construction. But when it comes to music, I have, do and always will have a solid well-defined and very passionate opinion. I cannot imagine a world without music, would fight to prevent such a place from coming into being.
Lately with schools cutting funding for Art and Music education, I begin to wonder if the mindset of ‘needed change’ hasn’t taken a very dangerous turn.
My mind is full of music and there is nothing anyone can say or do to change that. I will always be making music of some sort, even if it is just whistling or humming or snapping my fingers.
If being a genius means giving up music, I am glad not to be considered one.

No comments:

Post a Comment