Thursday, February 16, 2012

"Let Me be Brave..."

I resigned my position with the school system in July. Before that I worked with children with special needs for eight years. Every one of those years I went to and helped with at least four Special Olympics competitions.

Since I left, though, I have kept up with the days that my former class attends the Special Olympics in our area. I take that day off, even if it means working on a weekend, because to me Special Olympics is just an amazing opportunity to share the lives and celebrate the accomplishments of these children. It is an opportunity for us to remember that people we sometimes marginalize are valuable and important members of our society.
This week was Special Olympics Swimming Competition at our local YMCA. I was up early and very excited to get there. I so enjoy visiting with my former students.
It's also wonderful to meet the new children that have joined the class since I left. It's great to see how much the children I worked with so closely have grown. Most of all, it's wonderful to be able to be a first hand witness to the talents and skills that these children have and to celebrate with them.
Special Olympics was created by Eunice Kennedy Shriver in 1968. She believed that "that individuals with intellectual disabilities were far more capable in sports and physical activity than many experts believed possible." She was correct.


Special Olympics North Carolina is one of the largest in the country with vast numbers of participants. 
There is nothing quite like standing at the end of the pool or the finish line and seeing the look of determination and joy on the face of a competitor as they swim or run as hard as they can toward the edge.
The children love the adulation, and its heartwarming to see their smiling faces. More than anything, it is amazing to see the community involvement and support. People from all over our county and state travel to share in the children's accomplishments. News organizations and radio stations all join in the fun. High schools students volunteer their time to take tickets, sell concessions and paint faces.
The next Special Olympics event in our area is Track and Field. More information can be found at http://www.sonc.net/?submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Search&s=randolph+county
Please plan on joining us for a fun day of competition, cheering, joy and success.
It is incredibly important to go, help and cheer, and a perfect opportunity to experience one of the most uplifting events possible.
For more information about Special Olympics check out this link: http://www.specialolympics.org/



No comments:

Post a Comment