Saturday, February 11, 2012

On Getting It Done.

I recently made an internal list of goals.
It was a big deal, because a lot of things need to be accomplished before the unpleasant heat of summer is upon us.
For several years now I've had an out building. A little shed-like building for my tools and lawnmower, etc.
Initially, I was so excited to have this building, I really "Went to Town" getting it all set up for the tools and things that I had.
Then the moving truck came.
I had to rethink my organization plans, to encompass the 15 boxes of tools and 'garage items' that came from my Father-in-Law's garage and collection.
For a really long time, I simply 'coexisted' with the boxes. Pretending they weren't there was the only way I could deal with the sudden clutter that infested my otherwise perfect space.
A few weeks ago I had a conversation with my wife concerning some "need to fix RIGHT-A-WAY" issues around the house.
I felt guilt at not having made enough time in my luxurious weekends to face the needs and do the deeds.
So, I concocted a list of prioritized 'jobs' that logistically addressed and accomplished every single issue, so as to maximize efficiency.
The first item on the list was "clean out shop."
That's what I call my out-building.
I knew if I were to accomplish my goals, I had to face the biggest goal of all first.
Today, I woke up, ate a delicious breakfast made by my lovely wife, got dressed in my work clothes and headed to the back yard.
I put on the Blues (always a good background soundtrack to big projects) and set to clearing the clutter.
Four hours later, as I hurridly cleared as much of the trash and clutter from my backyard as I could, I turned and looked into my shop to see what I had accomplished.
I nearly fainted.
I am an incredibly optimistic man. I can see the good in a tidal wave. But, I am also growing a new pragmatic gland, and it was throbbing.
A wave of vitriolic speech welled up within me, and I nearly fainted again.
Aside from hanging a few garden tools and cleaning the floor and and putting up a few shelves and 'reorganizing' some of my tools, my shop was still a disaster, albeit a slightly less disatrous disaster.
I work next Saturday. That pushes my next step in my list to the following weekend. But I will carry on toward the goal. Every little bit helps, as they say.
I feel somewhat good about what little I did get done. But not enough to put it off any further.
I am motivated at last to stop the putting-off, and start the getting done.

No comments:

Post a Comment